Product management is one of the most sought after positions in the tech space today, by employees and employers alike. These positions range from entry-level to senior-level opportunities, and can be a great role for international students looking to go into a business field. If you are searching for companies hiring for product managers, here are the top ten sponsoring H-1B visas in 2023.
What does a product manager do?
As technology and innovation grow, so does the need for product management. Product managers essentially oversee the lifecycle of new or existing products, from conceptualization to development, final approval to prototyping, and launch to continuous improvement. They are in charge of monitoring timelines, liaising between different departments, facilitating change management and communication, and managing obstacles as they arise. Product managers are most often needed in the Tech, Finance, UX design, and Engineering industries.
Education requirements for product managers
As an international student looking to apply for an H-1B visa, you are required to have a bachelor’s degree or higher in a field related to your intended position. Many product managers have bachelor’s degrees in Business, Engineering, or Computer Science. While a degree is required for H-1B sponsorship, many additional skills are highly sought after among product managers such as attention to detail, working well under pressure, and good communication. Given the many skills and abilities of product managers, a career in product management can lead in multiple directions and cross different industries.
Product manager salary
According to Payscale, the average salary for a Product Manager in the US is $92,000, adjusted higher or lower depending on the type of product and organization. Note that salaries for product managers can also be subject to variation due to stocks, bonuses, etc., and most product managers working in STEM fields tend to make salaries on the higher end of the scale, ranging from $150,000-$200,000.
What is H-1B sponsorship?
The H-1B visa is considered a “dual-intent” visa and non-immigrant work authorization. This makes the H-1B one of the most popular options for international students hoping to pursue work and residency in the US. On your behalf, your sponsoring employer will submit your H-1B application to the US Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). Due to the increasing demand, USCIS mandates an H-1B cap, which limits the number of H-1B visas that can be issued each year. Most H-1B applications are submitted by early March, and decisions are usually released in late March or early April. In 2023, almost 500,000 H-1B applications were submitted, and only 120,000 registrations were selected.
Top 10 H-1B sponsoring companies for product managers in 2023
|H-1B Visa Sponsor
|Number of H-1B Applications
|Average Salary for H-1B Employees
|Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company
|US Bank National Association
- Facebook: Part of Meta Platforms, along with Instagram, Whatsapp, and Messenger, Facebook is a popular social media platform. Product managers at Meta lead conceptualization, drive technical development, and collaborate cross functionally to launch platforms, tools, or products.
- Intuit: Intuit is a business software company that specializes in marketing, compliance, and financial management software products and services. Their products include Quickbooks, Turbo Tax, Credit Karma and more. Product Managers at Intuit collaborate and innovate to create data and customer driven solutions across these products.
- Adobe: Adobe is a multinational computer software company that designs content and applications for consumers. Product managers are responsible for improving the core user experience, and producing measurable results.
- Uber Technologies: As the most commonly used ride and transportation app in the US, Uber is constantly evolving and reimagining their products. For new college grads looking for the opportunity to start a career in Product Management, Uber has an Associate Product Manager program.
- Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company: Hewlett Packard is a multinational information and edge-to-cloud company that specializes in technology and high-end storage. Many product manager roles at Hewlett Packard are in the software space, so these roles focus on translating wide-range needs to software solutions.
- Stripe: Founded as a business alternative to Venmo, Stripe is a suite of Application Programming Interfaces that power online payment and e-commerce for e-businesses. Product managers at Stripe work to understand the needs of merchants of all sizes, and help them to achieve their goals with new and improved features.
- Cisco Systems: Cisco Systems is a multinational technology and digital communications corporation. Cisco provides networking equipment, software, and several other services to its customers worldwide.
- Salesforce.com: Salesforce.com is a cloud-based software company, specializing in Marketing and Customer Relationship Management (CRM) tools. Salesforce is consistently rated by employees, especially product managers,as one of the best companies to work at.
- Doordash: Doordash is a technology-based company that connects customers with restaurants, convenience, and grocery stores. Product managers work to ensure that Doordash products are in alignment with the current and future needs of on-demand delivery.
- US Bank National Association: US Bank is a bank institution and financial services company. With locations nationwide, product manager positions are spread across major US cities.