Consulting is widely becoming one of the most popular and highest paid positions among college graduates today. Ranging from entry-level to senior-level, consulting positions are the perfect role for international students to enter the business sector. As you search for job opportunities, here are the top ten companies sponsoring H-1B visa holders as consultants in 2023.
What does a consultant do?
What does a consultant do? Consultants essentially provide analysis and recommendations to a client based on known or researched expertise, most often an organization, industry, or an individual. Among other responsibilities, consultants also help their clients to troubleshoot, find ways to increase efficiency, introduce new perspectives, and improve performance. Most often, consultants will work for a “consulting firm,” that has clients across industries. Consulting firms are hired by almost all industries, but most often they are needed in the Business, Healthcare, Education, Management, and IT sectors.
There are several prestigious consulting firms in the United States. Some of the biggest name consulting firms in the United States include:
- Bain & Company
- Booz Allen Hamilton
- McKinsey & Company
- Boston Consulting Group (BCG)
- PricewaterhouseCoopers (PwC)
Education requirements for consultants
As an international student looking to apply for an H-1B visa, you are required to have a bachelor’s degree or higher in a field related to your intended position. For consulting, that would most often be a degree in Business. Most consultants enter the field with a degree in a Business area, such as Finance, Management, Accounting, Marketing, or Business Administration. For students who know the area they want to consult in, they might also pursue a minor or concentration in those areas, such as Education, Healthcare Administration, Government, Life Sciences, or Computer Science.
In 2023, the entry level consultant salary is $75,000 on average, adjusted higher or lower depending on the city, consulting firm, or the type of industry. Note that salaries for consultants can also vary due to stock options and bonuses. Many firms have fast tracks to move up from entry-level, to mid- and senior-levels, often where salaries range anywhere from $90,000 to $150,000.
What is H-1B sponsorship?
A non-immigrant temporary work authorization, the H-1B visa is considered a “dual-intent” visa, making it a popular choice among international students. Due to the increasing demand, the US Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) mandates an H-1B cap, limiting the number of H-1B visas issued yearly through a lottery. The application deadline for H-1B applications is typically early March, and decisions are released sometime in late March or early April. In 2023, 120,000 registrations were selected, out of almost 500,000 H-1B applications.
Top 10 H-1B sponsoring companies for consultants in 2023
|Rank||H-1B Visa Sponsor||Number of H-1B Applications||Average Salary for H-1B Employees|
|3||The Boston Consulting Group||198||$179,747|
|5||Sonata Software North America||29||$73,474|
- Deloitte Consulting: Deloitte is considered one of the “Big Four” professional services firms, and one of the top consulting firms in the US International students looking to start their career at Deloitte can utilize their “Explore Your Fit” tool, which allows you to personalize your search within the firm.
- Wipro: Wipro is a consulting firm headquartered in New Jersey, with operating locations worldwide. Given Wipro’s global presence, working as a consultant at this firm would provide opportunities to work with international clients and industries.
- The Boston Consulting Group (BCG): With offices in over 50 countries, BCG is a global leader in consulting firms. BCG offers extensive training programs and career development opportunities for their employees. BCG offers an online quiz for students and recent graduates to explore what role might be best for you.
- Genpact: Genpact is a multinational professional services firm that offers consulting services to industries and clients across the world. While a large portion of their operations are international, Genpact’s US headquarters are located in New York City.
- Sonata Software North America: Sonata Software is a global technology company that specializes in data modernization and cloud services. Sonata offers digital and platform based consulting services to companies and governments across the globe.
- Latentview Analytics: Latentview Analytics is a digital analytics firm that provides a wide variety of services, including consulting. Clients of Latentview’s consulting services include several Fortune 500 companies, across many industries like Finance, Healthcare, and Retail.
- L.E.K. Consulting: L.E.K. Consulting is a consulting services firm with offices in seven major US cities. Consultants at L.E.K. have work in a variety of industries, focusing on data and analytics, mergers and acquisitions, performance improvement, and more.
- Bain Company: Bain Company is a management consulting firm known for its expertise in private equity and strategic consulting. The firm provides consulting services for nearly 30 industries, making it a great place to blend your interests with your career. The typical entry-level position at Bain is an Associate Consultant, where you’ll work hands on with fellow AC’s to solve client issues.
- Iqvia: Iqvia is a US multinational company that provides data and technology solutions to life science organizations. Their consulting services focus on management consulting to the pharma and biopharma industry, advising on critical business issues in healthcare.
- Transunion: Transunion is most notable a US consumer credit reporting agency. Transunion also offers business services to organizations, ranging from marketing solutions to cybersecurity and fraud detection. Consultants at Transunion work heavily with data to evaluate market shifts and assess the potential for new and improved data assets.