Join us virtually on March 6, 2024 for our first ever Interstride Symposium. Register now →
Interside mobile menu

H-1B back-up options for international students

interstride logo by Interstride
January 4, 2023

The most common work visa in the U.S. is the H-1B visa. However, the H-1B lottery is highly competitive, and there is no guarantee that international students will be able to stay in the U.S. for work. As you explore career opportunities and visa sponsorship in the U.S., you should prepare back-up options in case your H-1B is rejected. This guide breaks down four H-1B alternatives every international student should know:

  • Alternative Immigration Options: H-1B cap-exempt jobs, Employment-Based visas (EB-1/2/3/4/5), Intracompany Transferees visas (L-1A/1B), the Extraordinary Ability or Achievement visa (O-1), the Cultural Exchange visa (Q-1)
  • International opportunities in more immigrant-friendly countries such as Canada
  • Exploring opportunities back home
  • Pursuing advanced degrees in the U.S.

Read the full guide to take a deeper look at each of these back-up options and get expert advice on how to pick the best one for you.